I have really got to stop making promises about when I´ll update my blog. Srsly.
1. Let´s revisit the "Czechs only drinking flavored water" once more. I just find this so interesting. I mean, it´s everyhere...you´re going to the gym? Bring an empty water bottle along and have it filled up there with one of the fifteen syrups on display. My host sister does this every spin class, which is so perplexing as she could fill up at home, with syrup, for not 7 crowns. Once I forgot my bottle and so I bought one there, and when I didn´t want flavoring (which just isn´t thirst-quenching) the woman looked at me so strangely - as do my classmates when I take plain water at lunch. We used to just have sweet tea, milk, and juice (all too sweet and I don´t like milk), and so I was so excited when we got "pure water" - it's actually specified on the jar - a month ago. I´m the only one who drinks it, haha. Our syrup at home has changed for the holidays to orange-cinnamon.
2. They have different animal sounds. Some are the same, but the most egregious error is the cow, who goes "boo". Among the others are a dog´s "hoff", and a frog´s "kvah".
3. Their automatic doors don´t exactly live up to their name. Always I feel like I´m going to slap my body right against the glass, they open so late.
4. "P" owns the thickest portion of the dictionary.
5. Girls wear nude nylons, with frequency. Every day I see schoolmates rocking the Princess Di, underneath sweater dresses and skirts in the winter and Daisy Dukes in the summer (at least this last instance only occurs at school). I don´t have a pair of my own, nor would I expect do any of my friends back home.
6. They haven´t any need for top sheets. Just a bottom sheet and a duvet. Simplifies the process of making your bed, I suppose. Don´t think I haven´t done my homework on this, guys! Whenever we visit castles and the like, I scope the bedding in the royal chambers for sheets. Each time it´s none, nada, nic.
7. It´s never just one door: "Door/doors" comes only in the plural, dveře.
8. A "goodbye" is necessary in all situations. Whenever you exit a store, save large grocery or department stores, you call, "Na shledanou!" I guess we sometimes do this in America, but it´s always "Have a nice day!" - "goodbye" is much more personal a term. The most strange place this is practiced is the studying room at the library. Each person extends a farewell as they pack up their books.
You also always mutter a "Good day" upon entrance.
9. The words for sunrise & east/ sunset & west are the same. Don´t you just gush over how poetic this is? I do, haha. Similarly, there is the same word for month & moon.
Fun to read your entries...How was Christmas? Jula really misses you. We have a new dog. You'll have to look on my fb page..maybe Jula has put Iggy on hers. She is lots of fun and barks like Flurry.
ReplyDelete